Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Long overdue

This post will be extremely boring to those of you who read who are not family!  I apologize!

After 5 deployments, Eric has always had a responsible reason not to buy a Harley Davidson. Whether it be that we had little ones running around and he would never have time to ride, or that putting money into our houses, savings, etc seemed a more fiscally responsible thing to do, whatever the excuse was, he never went that extra step and got one for himself.  He has had the same 88 Honda motorcycle for almost 10 years, and the last 6 years it is has been in storage.

It is kind of a Military thing, many Soldiers have one, but if you are going to get one, you need to fully be committed because Harley's don't come cheap, especially the insurance in Germany.

When I first met Eric, he couldn't hold onto money to save his life.  I wasn't much better, and had a serious love affair going with clothing stores. After almost 21 years of marriage, we learned from the bottom up how to live our lives with money, not let money live our lives. A long time ago we decided we would give up the selfish things and start making more responsible choices. One of those decisions was to be frugal, and I still use coupons even though we don't need too and they are a serious pain! I still buy bargains instead paying full price for pretty much everything we purchase. I buy nothing for me or the fam unless it is on sale and if it isn't on sale, we can wait until it is. My kids don't have the newest and greatest electronic, and when they do get an electronic, you know it was a seriously good deal.  When we order online (our main shopping experience these days living in Germany), we look for the best sales price out there before we buy anything.

I had to post about Eric's budget Harley Davidson. He bought an "end of the year" model, never used, but needed out of the storeroom. He got an additional 30 percent off the already reduced Military price, a $500 HD gift card, and another $450 in loyalty cash.  When we looked the deal over, I said, "really, I don't think you could get a better deal on this bike, I think you should go for it"

And finally, after 10 years of deployments and hem hawing and really just being too cheap (in an awesome way) to get something for himself, he did it.  And I was so happy for him, as he has always put our family first when it comes to these decisions.

A little piece of pleasure I am so glad he is enjoying!



post signature

3 comments:

  1. Nice bike! Frank sold his Harley 3 months ago and I think he regrets it sometimes. I'd say Eric deserves it after all his service to the nation and to his family! Good looking bike Eric, ENJOY! (But don't drive it on the Autobahn!haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Still going to worry!!!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Eric.. and it's red!!! Very cool... I'll need to get John a drool bucket, though.. We love you :o) Karen and John

    ReplyDelete