Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Awesome Job, Avery!

(This is a long post, so be forewarned)

I am writing this today because at the end of each year, I am going to have the blog made into a book.  I know, it is so cool that you can do this!  So, with this understanding, please understand that this is why this post is so detailed.

To all who know us well, you know that last year was a hard year for Avery in school.  She struggled, and that struggle really crushed her self confidence and spirit.  And everyone knows what a sweetheart Avery is and she is sensitive, just like her Mama.  It isn't the best trait to always have, but it is the trait that God gave both of us, for whatever reason.  It broke my heart to see her struggling, and all year it felt like she could never do enough to get where she needed to be.  Actually, it felt like a knife thru my heart.  There is nothing worse than seeing your child struggle.

Towards the end of the year, her teacher felt she may not pass the required CRCT test in Georgia and recommended holding Avery back in 3rd grade.  That is how bad it was getting for Avery at school.

I have to say that I have always been an advocate for Teachers, they have one of the hardest jobs in the world! I can only imagine everything that gets laid on their shoulders, and how some parents might expect the teacher to raise their child. I applaud all the teachers that go to work each day with open hearts and love what they do and the difference they make in a child's life.  However, this was not the case in Avery's situation.

I think there are some teachers who simply don't connect with their students and don't realize that not everyone learns the same way. Maybe it is a result of a personal cross they are carrying, or that they have grown tired of teaching. I hope that they find their way back to the joy of teaching little minds one day.


That being said, when we were told this, the mama bear in me came out and I was not about to let my child fall thru the cracks in the system.  Eric and I knew what Avery's capabilities were.  I did her homework with her at home and Eric worked on her homework with her. We worked thru her struggles and she would comprehend her homework with us, until the next day after school and she would draw a blank.

At this time, I prayed to God. I prayed so, so, so many times.  Typing this I am in tears because of the maternal instinct that I had that something was not right.  I prayed that God would help me to help Avery understand how smart and wonderful she was, even if she didn't learn things the same way as Teacher X taught them.  That no matter if it took 50 times of going over her times tables, that we would be there for her, and that God was there with her also.

And, God listened.  The day she took CRCT's, we had a long talk before school and I told her to pray to God when she found herself struggling and her angels would help her work thru the CRCT test.

She passed the CRCT, and scored a little lower than she should have on the Math portion. But it didn't matter, because Reading was the requirement to pass, and she had passed.  Had I just listened to her teacher, instead of the inner voice that God gave me, she would be repeating the 3rd grade.  We firmly stood our ground and made sure that everyone understood Avery was not going to repeat 3rd grade.

We had just found out about Eric not retiring and that we would be headed back to Germany, but somehow inside I knew she would be OK coming to the Dept of Defense schools.

As a secondary precaution, and more to prove to all involved that we knew our child best, we had Avery tested for a learning disability this summer before we left.  It was a three day testing by a Neuropsychologist.

The findings were clear, she was found to NOT to have a learning disability and NOT ADD.  They did feel she had an anxiety issue, and hmmmm, wonder why? After the year she had, please, don't even get me started.....  My child had a crushed spirit at age 9.

So, Avery, sweetie, this post is for you.  Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you, for who you are, what is in your heart and the wonderful gifts God has given you!  You are so smart, so creative, so honest and there is absolutely nothing that can stop you from being whatever you want to be in this life, with God as your compass.

You are a blessing to all of us, and I am so happy for you! God is showing you that he made you just as you are and that when you trusted in him, he didn't forsake you.

Look at these grades!!  All A's and B's!!  This post is for you, so that years from now, when you have overcome your struggles, you know how proud you made us, but most importantly how proud you should be of yourself.  We love you sweet cheeks!


1 comment:

  1. That is an AWESOME report card Avery!! We knew you could do it. You are one smart cookie :o) We're proud of you and love you.
    Gma and Gpa Challender

    ReplyDelete