Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Prague Eats

One of the things we wanted to try while visiting Prague was their food.  After a long morning of walking around, we asked a local at the Astronomical clock for a restaurant he would recommend off the beaten path.


We were so happy we asked. We had to walk about five blocks but soon right in front of us was Umedvidko.  It is a very old brewery pub, dating back to 1466!  Dating before America was even founded, amazing! And even more interesting, the original Budweiser was created here, however, they did not trademark it.  It was then taken to America and the rest is history!

We soon realized this was a favorite of the local crowd and it was pretty full for 2:00 in the afternoon.  We found the no-smoking section and sat down in a nice little corner of the restaurant.


Come to find out the Prague is really famous for their beer....even more so than Germany.  Many restaurants like Umedvidko (and I still don't know what their name means, the closest translation was "teddy bear") brew their own beer on site and are considered a Microbrewry.

Eric and I both tried one of their house beers, and they were actually good.  It isn't at all like the beer we have in America, the closest thing I can compare it to would be a strong brewed ice tea.  It was more water than alcohol, and Nic and Zachary both tasted it.  Neither of them thought it was good, but neither of them like ice tea either without a sweetener in it.  No complaints on them not liking it, and we felt it was better they try it with us than with anybody else in the wrong setting!

As you can see, it is the cutest little bottle and the cap pops off with a loud pop.  I REALLY wanted one of these bottles, but you couldn't take them.  I thought it would be perfect for an oil in my kitchen!















Brown bread was brought to the table and was freshly baked

Prague is also known for its hearty fare, and really when I was there I could tell why.  Almost every dish included some kind of potato and or cabbage.  Very rustic, hearty and earthy food.  Literally this meal served us well for the rest of the day walking.

Eric and Zachary both had this dish.  Traditional goulash. Not at all like American goulash.  The dumplings were bacon stuffed and white bread was used for the "gravy".  Both loved it and agreed it was a super fall apart piece of roast.

I had the potato dumplings filled with the famous Prague ham.  It was smoked and it was very good. White cabbage was slow cooked and slightly acidic, and the red cabbage was cooked the same, only sweeter.  I thought from a culinary standpoint it was interesting how they paired the savory and sweet with the potato and ham.  

Nicky had the pork schnitzel and devoured it in about five minutes.  He didn't care for the potato salad, but Eric and I both thought it was really good. I actually liked it the best out of everything.  It was like an American yellow potato salad, but had soft peas and carrots in it. 

Avery had a beef schnitzel.  I would say that this was the heartiest of all the food and was so big she couldn't eat it.  It wasn't thin like the German schnitzel we are used to and it was somewhat tough.  The coleslaw was awesome, very spicy and vinegary, but she didn't like that much.










This was such a fun afternoon and this meal really hit the spot. I can appreciate the area, the earthy flavors of the culinary fare and how different it was.  I know that I could not eat like this everyday, and the Czech's are very hearty people, and I see why.  This day is one to definitely keep in the memory books!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Your trip to Prague looked like it was amazing! I appreciate the way you describe everything...made me want to go...food looks delish!

    ReplyDelete