Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thankful

First...to all of the families who are missing their soldier, I am thankful for your family's sacrifice.  I have been there, and it is a bittersweet place to be. You're thankful your soldier is safe, but in the same breath, so empty he or she is gone. I hope that as your families begin to reunite over the next few months, the ache in your heart guides you to never take each other for granted and to always be thankful in everything God has given you. This too shall pass and soon you will be in each other's arms....

There are so many things to be thankful for this year, as there are every year.  I always try so hard to look past the hardships, the disappointments and the obstacles of the past year to see the greatness in every single day my family shares together, and to make this day a memory with our little family.

This year was such a nice Thanksgiving....my kids are getting older.!! Traditions Eric and I have instilled upon our children since they were born are starting to stick, and I'm beginning to see them come alive!  Expectations for the stuffing, the turkey and the pies are all out there with my three.

I do miss when they were little, but I see how fun it is going to get....  I can only imagine the first years when the kids bring a new spouse, or a little angel into our family.  It is years away, I know, but it gives me chills thinking about it.  I love my family and what we mean to one another.

Zachary and Eric are always the turkey guys.  They help brine it the night before, and so far we've never been disappointed (or sick).  I think last year was the only year they didn't because Eric had to travel from Savannah.

It is cold here...so cold that we were able to place the turkey in a covered tub with the brine and veggies and sit it outside all night.  The turkey was awesome.  The gravy, made from the roasted brine veggies, white wine and turkey stock goodness that cooked for over 4 hrs, was perfect.  I didn't add any seasonings at all, only flour to thicken it up, it was seasoned perfectly!

Nicky is the one that keeps me on my toes.  He's constantly asking when this and that will be ready, always reminding me of things I may have overlooked.  And he gives the BEST compliments ever.  As pies come out of the ovens, Nicky is right there to comment on them and give me a hug, with a, "Mommy, I love Thanksgiving!".  The pie could be destroyed and he would find a way to make me feel great about it.

Avery is now becoming pie meister...Her and I are pretty sure we have finally mastered the most perfect Maple Pumpkin pie on Earth.  Every year I play around with this combination of recipes a little more and I think this year was it.....or maybe it was just because I had my sweet Avery by my side!  We made our own pumpkin pie spice,  and we even grated our own nutmeg.  Man...did it make a huge difference!

Here are some pics, and considering we have am extremely cook-unfriendly kitchen, I am so glad it all turned out great.  However, I will admit that I miss my kitchen back in Newnan.





Everyone enjoying the food..... notice my plate is on its way to being empty......




The kids always love this Cranberry Vernors punch, and it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.....





Avery made the flower cutouts with pie crust and sanded sugar, and we always have our relish trays to munch on...



We don't have a tremendous amount of room, but we made due!  I sliced the turkey down to the carcass, added some of the broth to this dish, and it was so moist.









Happy Thanksgiving!  I am so thankful for my family and the memories we are blessed with each year!  We missed our stateside family and friends, but know God has them safe and sound until we can all be together again.














post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment