Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Smile for the day


This is how school pick up goes:

Hi Mommy!
Hi Avery, how was your day?
Good...I did this, this and this
How did you feel today?
Good!

Can we get a donut? Pleasseeeeeee

Nicky usually comes to the car about 10 minutes after Avery.  This is how the conversation goes....


Hi Mommy!
Hi Nic, how was your day?
Good...I did this, this and this!
How did you feel today?
Good! Ummmm,

Can we get a donut? Pleasseeeeeee

(Zachary is at track practice and when Eric picks him up, their conversation usually goes like this and sometimes if Zachary is starving, he will email to have Eric bring 2 bars)
I AM STARVING, DO YOU HAVE A CLIFF BAR
Eric: yep, here you go

So, a couple times a week, we swing into the commissary and I let them get only the chocolate cake donuts. Not the white yeasty sugar laden donuts, but a plain cake donut can't be so bad, right?  Well, I am sure it is, but as I have been told by Nic that he has the healthiest lunch in 7th grade (and this isn't a compliment from him) I figure whats the harm?

The sweetest part of this donut deal?  Is who goes in and gets it.

One thing I have always loved on military bases is the safety net of your community. When Zachary would ask to ride his bike to the library at age 12, I had not a second thought. Or when we would discover we needed milk, we would send him down on his bike and he would pick up a German pretzel for himself as a reward for getting the milk. Kids love to be treated like trusted little adults! I love that I can do that with my kids.  Even though we don't live on post, It is still nice to be able to be more trusting than I can on the economy.

Avery has always been my little shopper, and she learned when she was probably 7 or 8 how to use our debit card and pay at the self checks.  She is 10 going on 20 (hmm, I heard that myself a few times growing up).  She loves nothing more than to get "her" ID card, the debit card, a list from me and any coupons and take them in and pick up a few things, along with the after school donuts.  So Nic and I wait in the car, parked in the safe corner parking space where she doesn't have to cross the street, and she heads in with with her list and cards in hand.

Today, I had to laugh and take a picture because she stopped and got this cart as well.  It just made me smile. She is such a huge help and I love letting her do stuff like this, tasting little bits of life while still being our favorite little girl.
"What is so funny, just grabbing a cart like you do Mommy"

"Why is she taking a picture of me?"





post signature

2 comments:

  1. cute post :o) my how times have changed.. Yesterday's kids were trusted to take enough money to buy what was needed and bring the change home.. Now they get to use debit cards..
    Avery, you look like your getting soooo tall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this...takes me back to when I wanted to be like my Mom....Happy Mother's Day! You are indeed blessed....

    ReplyDelete