Saturday, April 20, 2013

RUN...STICK

Today Zachary had his first track meet. All week it has been so nice, our heat off, windows open, even getting into the high 60's. It has been a welcome relief to the cold, cold winter.  It was almost as nice as Georgia!

We were loving it and then... we woke up last night to rain, and this morning it was so cold again. Only 40 degrees, cold and wet.

Zachary joined track and made the mid distance team in March. For those you who don't know mid-distance, there are 4 boys and they each run a fast lap around the track, handing off the "stick" to the next runner.  Yelling RUN....and then STICK as they hand it off.

I am standing on the track sidelines and as he blows past me, Eric yelling "GO,GO,GO, there you go Zachary" I can't control my eyes welling up.  I have went thru this with all the kids at different times. But it seems worse now, now that Zachary's run is so close to adulthood.

I know, I am a big baby, and way, way to sentimental. But, in my defense, it truly touches my heart so deep to see my child succeed, but also to see the pride in Eric's eyes, the love he has for his first born son.  I can't help remember all the "firsts" of Zachary's life and smile, how I have treasured every single one them. I know it is just track... but in a way its not.

In a metaphorical way, it is just the beginning of Zachary's run in life. Everything I hope for him, all the fears I have for him, every prayer I say for him, those are all in the tears welling in my eyes as he is running towards his life, towards all the wonderful things it has in store for him.

HE..DID...GREAT ... all the worrying he did of handing off the stick correctly because he is left handed, running fast enough for his team in his run, his worries of dropping the stick... were unfounded.  He hauled bootie and Eric was just so blown away at how fast Zachary runs. Can you see it in his face below in the 2nd pic?

If this brought tears to my eyes, what will graduations, weddings and babies be like? I guess I will be keeping Kleenex in business...

But to my first born....

I hope you keep running in life, following your dreams and being all God has graced you to be every day.  Dad and I will always be cheering on the sidelines...anytime you needs us...probably with a tissue in my hand.



Warm ups

Hand off of the stick

Around the first bend


Home stretch

1 comment:

  1. Lookin good Zach!! With those long legs and muscles, you look like a professional... Wish we could be there to see you run, but pictures are the next best thing.. Love you..gma and gpa challender

    ReplyDelete